SPRINGDALE, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) – As the Winter Olympics begin in Beijing, the Jones Center is the community’s recreation destination for hands-on winter sports right here at home.
The Jones Center features a year-round indoor ice rink, junior Olympic lap pool and leisure pool, indoor gymnasium and track, fitness center fully equipped fitness center, state-of-the-art Runway Bike Park and more.
The rink is a community gathering place where the whole family can enjoy healthy fun. The arena hosts public ice skating, curling and ice hockey, as well as learn-to-skate lessons for all ages and skills, including adaptive skating, skating for ice hockey and advanced figure skating.
The ice arena hosts public ice skating Tuesday through Sunday for $5 per person plus a $2 skate rental for non-members. Jones Center Core members pay $5 per person, while Jones Center Ultimate members skate for free. Group rates are also available. More information is available at thejonescenter.net/ice-arena.
- Family skating sessions take place from 12 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays; from 12 p.m. to 2.45 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday; 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.; and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- adult skate (18 and over) is 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday.
As the mixed doubles curling competition kicks off in Beijing, come try out this popular sport played with a 42-pound curling stone and an ice broom. The Jones Center hosts public curling from 3-4:45 p.m. on Sundays, with open sessions hosted by members of the Northwest Arkansas Curling Club. The cost is $8 per person. Recommended for ages 11 and up. No registration is required; just show up and buckle up! Visit thejonescenter.net/curling.
Ice hockey is offered in three formats in the regulation-sized arena: Pick-Up Hockey, Stick & Puck sessions and Adult Hockey League.
- Pickup Hockey is 10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. on Fridays for players ages 16 and up with a variety of skill levels. The cost is $10 per person.
- stick and puck sessions are 5:30-6:15 a.m. Thursdays for all ages, with a focus on manipulatives. No contact or melee is allowed. The cost is $5 per person.
- the adult hockey league is underway for the spring season, offering competitive play in a friendly atmosphere. Follow “Jones Center Hockey” on Facebook for updates.
Full hockey equipment (pads, gloves and helmets) is required for ice hockey. For more information, visit thejonescenter.net/hockey.
BEYOND THE ICE
If ice sports aren’t your thing, the Jones Center also offers recreational activities at the gymnasium, indoor pools, and world-class Runway Bike Park.
- Free volleyball from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday at the gymnasium. The cost is $3 per person; free for Jones Center members.
- Pickleball walk-in 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Monday to Saturday at the gymnasium. The cost is $3 per person; free for members.
- free basketball 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday to Friday and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday at the gymnasium. The cost is $3 per person; free for members.
To swim: The Jones Center hosts public swim sessions at lap and recreational pools seven days a week.
- Family swim is from 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday, from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday. The cost is $4 per person.
- Lap swimming is 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday; 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday; 12 p.m. Until 6 p.m. on Saturday; and from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sundays. The cost is $4 per person.
Track bike park: If you’re looking for free outdoor recreation, Runway Bike Park is open from sunrise to sunset daily on the Jones Center campus, featuring the Velosolutions Pump Track – one of the largest pump tracks in North America. North, a bike course and a bike playground. More than thejonescenter.net/bike-park.
These are just a few of the ways to have fun and be entertained at the Jones Center. For full information on all activities and events – including martial arts, gymnastics, swimming, ice skating, ice hockey, biking and many workout/fitness classes – visit thejonescenter.net.
Before going to the Center for an activity, please consult the leisure schedule under the “Schedule and events” tab at thejonescenter.net for periodic updates.