A Parramatta Eels icon has been charged by police over an alleged incident which was followed by a verbal altercation.

Parramatta icon Brett Kenny has been arrested and charged with an alleged headbutt.

The 62-year-old faced court this week after being charged with common assault (domestic violence).

The Daily Telegraph first reported that former NSW Home State hero Kenny allegedly headbutted a man he knew, 58-year-old Scott McGonigal.

The incident happened outside a fitness club on NSW’s central coast.

A statement from NSW Police alleged there was also a verbal altercation.

“At approximately 6.15pm on Tuesday (April 12, 2022), a 58-year-old man and a 49-year-old woman were at a fitness center on The Entrance Road in Bateau Bay when they were approached by a 62-year-old man. years. known to them,” the police statement read.

“It is alleged that the older man headbutted the younger man in the forehead before a verbal altercation ensued and the parties parted ways.

“The 58-year-old went to the entrance police station and reported the incident a short time later.

“Tuggerah Lakes Police District officers then attended a Shelly Beach home where they spoke to and arrested a 62-year-old man.

“He was taken to Wyong Police Station and charged with common assault (DV). He was released on bail to appear in Wyong Local Court on Thursday, April 21, 2022.”

Kenny appeared in court this week and the case will return to court on May 5.

It was reported last year that Kenny had consented to an apprehended violence order made against him by police on behalf of his estranged wife Suzanne.

Kenny once battled lymphoma cancer.

He was diagnosed with shock in 2017 when he underwent chemotherapy.

He said that in 2018 the treatment was successful and he no longer needed treatment or medication.

The unstoppable playmaker was one of the Eels’ biggest stars during the club’s iconic run of four Premierships between 1981 and 1986.

Kenny was inducted into the NSW Rugby League Hall of Fame last year.

He scored two tries in three consecutive Grand Finals from 1981 to 1983 – the only player to achieve this feat.

He made 17 appearances for New South Wales and the Kangaroos, before being named to Australia’s 100 Greatest Players list.